Company culture is a tricky topic. Let’s face it; we don’t all have Cinderella, Belle and Mickey running around to help us establish that childlike emotional commitment to our brands like Disney does. The ability to excite, innovate and entertain our future employees in the same powerful way would be amazing… but, that will never be the reality for most.
So, what can we do to create the same sort of passion and enthusiasm for our employment brands that I have found in one particular Intern at Disney Institute?
Katy Ray Sears lives and breathes Disney. Shortly after arriving to Orlando we met Katy for the first time – polite, enthusiastic and absolutely crazy for Disney. Katy is currently serving as an Intern for the Disney Institute. Her technical role is the Group & Convention Public Relations Intern… but, in all reality… she is much more than that! This “Intern” bleeds pixie dust!
When it comes to Disney, Katy is a true brand champion. Not in a forced down your throat, you must eat and breathe Walt Disney kind of way – it’s more of a childlike wonderment that is very difficult to not get excited over. It’s not in the words as much as the way that her eyes grow wide and sparkly anytime she speaks about the organization. She is, in my opinion, the type of cast member (internal employee to Disney) that truly captures the spirit of the organization.
So, for fun, I asked this passionate Disney ambassador to give me her top ten list of things about Disney that stick out in her mind and why she chose them.
Katy Ray Sears’ Top Ten Favorite Things About Disney
- Walt Disney – Because he shows that one person can change the world!
- Main Street USA – It embodies the spirit of America, comfort and memories.
- Peter Pan’s Flight – Where else can you fly over London in a Pirate Ship?
- Princesses – They symbolize dreams that everyone has.
- Carousel of Progress – Walt’s own idea from beginning to end…
- Great Movie Ride – Ride through Hollywood’s greatest movie scenes and get right in the middle of the action!
- Parades & Fireworks – Especially “Wishes”
- Fantasmic – Greatest show ever!
- The Kids – Walt Disney World gives them something to believe in, no matter their circumstances.
- Cinderella’s Castle – It’s a real representation of dreams coming true!
Here is the actual note…
Katy Ray is a fantastic addition to the Disney team. She will represent them well now and into the future with her amazing level of intensity for the organization and her commitment to delivering on Disney’s key standards for guest satisfaction.
Company culture and the way in which it flows through your employees’ veins is highly dependent on their abilities to emotional connect and verbally communicate what makes their company great!
Give your employees something to get excited about! Develop stories and examples of your culture that they will eagerly want to share with their families, friends and everyone else they come into contact with.
Can you imagine what a group of Katy Rays would do for your organization?